Monday, April 28, 2014

Michaela Grace, I love your face


To my dearest Michaela Grace,  

Today is your 4th birthday. Happy birthday, my love! I'm not sure you understand all the words that I've spoken to you and over you today, so I thought I would write you a letter. And maybe, when you're older, you can read it.  

I wanted to tell you how proud I am of you. You are growing into such a lively, creative, fun little lady. I'm not sure you know how much people are impressed with you- your articulation, your imagination, your creativity and love for life. It's amazing how infectious your smile and laugh is, too. Those that encounter you never forget you. I've had people stop me in the street and ask me if I'm the mom of 'that little girl.' You leave footprints on peoples hearts...you bless them and make their days brighter. God made you this way- never let anyone or anything dim that light that He ignited in you.  


You are probably one of the most sensitive and emotional people I've ever known. This is not a bad thing (most of the time.) This trait gives you the ability to know when something is wrong or when someone is hurt. You are sweet and compassionate to others and love to give love. Use your emotions for good, my darling. Take the discernment you have for situations and make good strong choices. Stand up for what is right. Love when love is necessary and be firm in your convictions when you know something is wrong/right. Guard your heart but don't hesitate to extend a helping hand. 

Mickey, my darling. You have a heart for service and doing for others. I'm quite certain you are not sure what that means right now, but I will tell you this...not everyone has this quality. It's precious. Continue to be selfless in your actions. You will be rewarded and blessed beyond measure someday. I wish I had an ounce of that do-for-others mentality that you have. Don't ever lose that.  The way I see you blossoming into a good example for your sisters makes my heart so happy. I know you will be a wonderful leader to your siblings. I already see that unfolding.

Remember, honey, that God made you so very special and unique. Even before you were a 'wink in your daddy's eye,' HE knew you. He formed you in my womb. You are wonderfully made. There is nothing about you that is a mistake. When you said to me earlier today, "Mom, the kids in my class don't like my hair...can I have regular hair?"...well, baby, my heart almost broke. Then I realized that the very thing that will make you stand out, also makes you perfect and beautiful. You are different in many ways. And these differences in you make you shine even brighter. Baby, everything from the tiniest curl on the tippy top of your head, down to your little pudgy piggies, are precious...beautiful...perfect. 


Four years ago, when you were born, I began a new journey in myself, as a mom, as a woman, and as a human. God bestowed me the honor of being your mother. But...you are on loan to me. You are not mine forever. For just a short time. I can only hope that our little lessons and short time as parent-teaching-child will be meaningful and fruitful. God may have put you in my care for me to raise, teach and love, but I am, by far, learning so much more from you than you from me. Being your mom has showed me that there is always a new day tomorrow; that life is too short to be boring or stressed; that it is far better to rejoice than to mourn. The greatest thing being your mom has taught me is this: how deeply God loves me. Because you see, Michaela...God sent his only son for us, a sacrifice made out of love. And, my darling, I would sacrifice myself for you...because I love you THAT MUCH. And so, after 28 years of never really getting it, becoming your mom has taught me just that: that God loves me (and you, and everyone) so much that he is willing to send his only son, Jesus to die for us. I get how much God loves me now, because I love you in that same kind of way.  

Thank you for being you. Thank you for being an incredible daughter and individual. Thank you for helping me become a mother. And thank you for showing me what real love is.  

Happy birthday to you, my baby!  

I'll love you forever, 
<3 Mom 
xo 




No comments:

Post a Comment